March into Spring!
by Bryan, Grounds Maintenance Supervisor
Spring is in the air! Do you have your spring checklist ready?
We’ve had a few couple of warm days here in the mitten state, which means we all have spring fever. Are you itching to get outside and start working in your yard or garden? Well, follow some of these helpful hints to get your yard spring ready and looking good all summer.
- Spring Clean-Up: Clean out your landscape beds and cut the lawn so it is nice and short. This will remove the dormancy from the winter and promote growth all season long.
- Fertilizer: Apply a pre-emergent crabgrass fertilizer to keep those pesky weeds out of your lawn.
- Bed Pre-emergent: Apply a pre-emergent to your flower beds. This will greatly reduce your weeds for the whole summer, leaving you more time to enjoy the weather.
- Aeration: If your lawn area is hard packed or has excessive thatch (dead grass between the green growth and the soil) build up, you’ll want to aerate your lawn. Aeration allows air, water, and fertilizer to reach the roots and promotes thatch breakdown, creating a healthier lawn.
- Mulch: Freshen up your existing landscape beds. Not only does it look great, but it also provides protection to plants. Mulch allows for water retention and nutrients essentials for a healthy landscape.
That’s it, five tips to making your lawn and landscape green and healthy through the hot months. DeClark’s Landscaping is always here to help with these services when needed. Just give us a call!
What’s your favorite way to kick-off spring? Let us know in the comments below!